What we do
WHAT WE DO
PRALARG Int'l areas of operation and intervention include:
- Prison Rehabilitation
- Human Right Protection
- Civic Education,
- Care and Empowerment
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
PRALARG Int'l Objectives:
To organize and hold lectures in prisons nationwide on why inmates and the public should not take to crime.
- To reform and redirect the convicted from a life of crime to a path of rectitude.
- To organize lectures in primary and secondary schools as well as tertiary institutions to discourage them from taking to crime.
- To empower the less privileged and enlighten them on the self-sustaining program.
- To defend the vulnerable and less privileged in the society from human right abuse.
- To resolve conflict through alternative dispute resolution and mediation to prevent litigation.
- To advocate for better prisons’ welfare, provide succour and encouragement to inmate both home and abroad.
- To enlighten and provide health information to inmates and discourage the use of hard drugs.
- To advocate for the better life for deportees and convicts in foreign countries.
PRALARG Int'l ADVOCACY:
Pralarg advocates bringing relative peace to the society by reducing the influx of people to prison through human right protection, the enlightenment of the citizen and empowerment. We have to do this because of the present existence that encourages criminality and back to crime syndrome of the ex-inmate.
REORIENTATION OF INMATES
Despite its barbaric origins in the medieval dungeon and torture chamber, since the late 18th century, prisons have combined elements of punishment with elements of re-orientation. As the French philosopher, Michel Foucault put it, “punishment shifted over time from the discipline of the body to disciplining of the “soul”.
Reorientation of inmates is, therefore, the heartbeat of PRALARG; this is so because we believe that failure to do so will result in the inmates making the society a living hell on their discharge. This reorientation is aimed at preventing reoffending rather than being directed only at character reformation as it was in the past. This, the organization intends to achieve through rendering psychological, religious, educational and medical services to the inmates as well as donations to the Prisoner’s Welfare Fund (PWF).
REHABILITATION OF EX-CONVICTS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES TO PREVENT INFLUX OF PEOPLE TO PRISONS
PRALARG Int'l is committed to providing the best possible opportunity for ex-convicts to make a new start in life upon their release, and the successful re-integration of ex-convicts into the society would depend largely on how ready the public accepts and supports them.
In this connection, the organization has been actively promoting public acceptance of and support for rehabilitated ex-convicts through public enlightenment and education.
Pointedly, we have organized publicity and public education activities to help the public better understand the needs and problems of rehabilitated offenders and to appeal for their support. These activities include special TV and Radio programmes, symposiums on employment of rehabilitated offenders, exhibitions, TV and Radio announcements in the public interest, the appointment of local celebrities and public figures as Rehabilitation Ambassadors etc.
Furthermore, ex-convicts do not only suffer stigmatization from the members of the public but they face other challenges like homelessness, joblessness, and lack of finance. This is so because many lose their jobs during the period of imprisonment, their wealth and properties to court fines and series of court adjournment.
As a result of these, Pralarg has established some channels which welcome and facilitate public involvement in the rehabilitation of the offenders. These include:
- Pralarg Rehabilitation Volunteer Group: This group provides a good opportunity for members of the public to be directly involved in the rehabilitation of ex-convicts.
- Employment Assistance: The organization advocates equal employment opportunities for rehabilitated ex-convicts and where appropriate the organization will also facilitate projects initiated by the non-government organization to employ rehabilitated ex-convicts.
- Collaboration with NGOs: Presently, many religious bodies and non-government social service agencies are working with us to help ex-convicts re-integrate into the community. These organizations through the employment of volunteers, social workers, peer counsellors, render counselling, employment, accommodation assistance, recreation and religious services for rehabilitated ex-convicts.
These are important because the risk of ex-convicts returning to crime will be drastically reduced.
The organization has several interventions to prevent the influx of people to prison through Alternative Dispute Resolution because conflict cannot be prevented but the best instrument is to use the positive input to prevent litigation. We have also prevented abuse of right by law enforcement agents using their offices to perpetrate several illegal arrest and extortion in Nigeria.
DISSEMINATION OF KNOWLEDGE AS IT PERTAINS TO RIGHTS AND DUTIES
This is another area Pralarg is so interested in and we have done much and are still doing more to educate the people on their rights and duties as citizens of Nigeria. This is paramount because many people who found themselves in prison did not actually commit a crime but because they are ignorant of their rights as citizens, they ended up being convicted. And one’s ignorant of his or her duties as a citizen may lead such a person into committing an offence. Ignorance is said, is a dangerous disease and yet it is not an excuse in law.
On this note, Pralarg has devised various means of sensitizing and enlightening the public on their fundamental rights and their duties as citizens. That medium includes TV and Radio programmes, enlightenment in churches, schools, institutions, local governments, rural areas and during new member’s induction.